SHOOTOUT WINNER: 'Cats Get Big W In Mankato
Story and photo courtesy of NMU Sports Information. Click the AUDIO button to hear Garrett Searight's radio call of the shootout winner.
MANKATO, Minn. - The Wildcats traveled to Mankato and earned two of three points with a shootout win on Friday night. The game goes down as a 2-2 tie with the Wildcats earning the extra point, snapping a four-game losing streak against the Mavericks.
Matvei Kabanov scored the go-ahead goal late in the second period and then finished off the game with a nifty move in the third round of the shootout. Grant Slukynsky opened the shootout scoring in the second round before Kabanov sealed it.
The 'Cats scored their two goals in the final two minutes of the second period, opened by Jack Perbix scoring his first goal of the season. Connor Eddy, Aiden Gallacher, and Artem Shlaine all picked up assists on the evening, and Beni Halasz made 22 saves (.917 SV%).
The 'Cats now move to 8-12-3 overall and 6-8-1 with 20 points in CCHA play. The Mavericks move to 12-9-4 overall and 8-5-2 with 27 points.
- Jack Perbix opened the scoring for the 'Cats, registering his first of the season (1-2--3)
- Matvei Kabanov gave the 'Cats a 2-1 lead going into the third, scoring his third goal of the season and second in three games. Kabonov also scored the shootout winner
- Connor Eddy earned an assist, bringing his point total to 10 (4-6--10) and tying his total points from last season in 12 fewer games
- Aiden Gallacher registered an assist, moving the blueliners' point total to seven (3-4--7)
- Artem Shlaine picked up his 12th assist of the season (6-12--18), his second point in the last three games
- The 'Cats were excellent on the PK, going 4/5 and only allowing three shots on target
- Grant Slukynsky scored in the second round of the shootout
- The Wildcats are now 1-2 in shootouts this season.